These homemade choco tacos are a great treat, and can be personalized with any ice cream flavor. Fun to make and delicious the perfect Taco Tuesday treat!
Why make homemade choco tacos?
For fun! As you know I love making homemade versions of fun treats. I make homemade peeps, and homemade hostess sno balls! I make homemade eggnog and butterbeer… all things you can get someplace else but fun to make at home.
At home you can personalize it by using your favorite ice creams! Any brand, any flavor or of course any homemade Ice creams! I’ve used my Toasted Marshmallow ice cream and my Strawberry Ice cream (with the traditional waffle cone instead of chocolate) and my Peanut Butter Ice cream and loved each one!
You can change up the shell flavoring as well! And of course the topping/coating too! No reason it has to be a chocolate taco (other than the name) or chopped peanuts!
Just take me to the ice cream tacos already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for homemade choco tacos, along with links to other ice cream recipes and get straight to this delicious choco taco – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect choco taco
There are two ways you can make these choco tacos
– the first time I made them I sliced through the ice cream container and cut slivers of the half circle ice cream and refroze. Then once the waffle cone was cooked I quickly wrapped it around the ice cream half moons. I will say I was able to get a narrower choco taco this way, but it added additional freezing times. and was quite messy
– The second way was to make and shape the taco shells first, then scoop in softened ice cream. I felt it was easier to do it this way, just don’t let the ice cream get TOO soft and runny. I used two different ice creams and I alternated between being out and filling the shells and being in the freezer to stay cold. Rotating about every 2-3 tacos.
– Freezing – if you find the ice cream is getting too soft, either in the bowl or in the tacos just toss in the freezer. Don’t let them start to melt (vs being soft) as it creates problems down the road in terms of shape (you don’t want the ice cream running out of the taco shells on one side). Plus refrozen soft ice cream is totally okay, refrozen MELTED ice cream is nasty.
– The taco shell recipe – you can use this chocolate waffle cone recipe or a more traditional waffle cone recipe if you prefer. I like this traditional recipe for some flavors. Like when I used my strawberry ice cream recipe! Either way you need a good waffle cone maker!
– The Chocolate – I like to use Chocolate wafers or bars – they are made for melting and they coat beautifully. I like to mix different brands so the chocolate doesn’t taste like just one thing. The brands I like are Merkens, Trader Joes, Peters Chocolates, Ghiradelli, Guittard or Callebaut!
– The nuts – you can use any nut you like, the classic choco tacos have chopped peanuts, but you can use anything really, I like candied pecans chopped up, or even toffee bits, or candied bacon chopped up… It all depends on the flavor you are going for!
– Keeping the shell crunchy. After a while the shells will become soft from the ice cream. If you want to try to avoid this you can paint the inside of the shells with a thin layer of chocolate. It adds another step and isn’t traditional, but it will keep the ice cream from soaking into the shell. But be careful not to get it too thick or it get really hard to bite through!
To make these ice cream tacos you’ll need
Homemade Choco Taco
If you love these choco tacos as much as my kids do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it tag @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love ice cream tacos you’ll love these other ice cream recipes!
To watch me make these choco tacos play the video in the recipe card for my YT cooking show recipe video. You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Homemade Choco Taco Tutorial
it’s easy to make these homemade choco tacos – homemade chocolate waffle cone with creamy ice cream dipped in chocolate and peanuts for a sweet fun summer treat
Keyword: choco taco, homemade choco taco
Servings: 14 tacos
Calories: 901 kcal
Chocolate Waffle Cone
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 4 lrg egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 11 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 gallons Ice cream – any flavor softened
- 16 oz Chocolate wafers
- 1 1/2 C Chopped peanuts
Mix all the chocolate waffle ingredients together, until smooth
In a waffle cone maker pipe a log of batter into the machine (about 2-3 Tbsp)
Cook for about 40-45 seconds on medium
Hang on rack so it will cool in taco shell form.
soften the ice cream – stir to make sure it’s consistent (not half runny and half hard)
Take shell and scoop the ice cream ice cream into it, place back in the freezer
work with 2-3 tacos at a time, you don’t want the ice cream to melt; it will make the waffles too soggy.
Melt the chocolate wafers and let cool slightly, then dip the open ice cream side of the taco into the chocolate, covering all the exposed ice cream.
Then immediately dip into the chopped peanuts
Keep frozen until you are ready to serve
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email