Ultimate Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe! It’s rich and creamy, perfectly cheesy, loaded with spinach and artichokes and always a favorite. This is the BEST Spinach and Artichoke Dip, and the ultimate dip for any get together. Filled with spinach, artichoke hearts, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, and mayo!
How I created this spinach artichoke dip recipe
I LOVE spinach artichoke dip. If I see it on a menu I ALWAYS order it – but not all spinach and artichoke dip recipes are created equal. So it’s one of those recipes that I HAD to figure out how to recreate – the way I like it, cheesy and full of flavor.
When we were living in Japan this was one of the foods I missed the most! They don’t have a ton of cheese over there so it wasn’t something I could make very often – but when I could find cheese this was a recipe I was constantly tweaking and playing with.
I will say it didn’t always turn out very good – anytime I start a new recipe I usually start by searching cookbooks and online recipes. I start by comparing what they have in common – that creates a great base recipe – then I start comparing how they are different to figure out what I’d want to keep and what I wouldn’t like! Then comes the trial and error. Like learning that if I didn’t rinse and squeeze the fresh spinach I wasn’t happy with the green soupy results!
I serve it with homemade salsa and sour cream, but it’s also amazing on it’s own! It’s even good cold. I will warn you not to overcook it. It does something to the spinach, and it’s really unappetizing and ruins the whole dip for me – ugh.
If you have lived in a foreign land – or simply away from where you grew up – what would be the food you’d miss the most?
Just take me to this cheesy spinach and artichoke dip recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for making this spinach artichoke dip, along with links to other cheesy appetizer recipes and get straight to this delicious spinach and artichoke dip – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Fresh spinach – you want to rinse it really good then squeeze the heck out of it and drain all the spinach “juice” you can – otherwise you’ll have a green soupy dip that honestly doesn’t taste great.
- Frozen spinach – you can use frozen spinach instead – it makes it easier and faster to make for sure – I like to thaw the spinach on a few paper towels so it can soak up the extra moisture – again you don’t want soupy dip.
- Artichoke hearts – I like packed in oil vs water – I think the flavor is much better – as I go through the heart I pull of any leaves that are stiff, no one wants to bite into a stiff artichoke leaf
- Cheeses – Cream cheese is the base but you’ll want to add a bunch more cheeses – I use all freshly grated cheese – Parmesan, Mozzarella and White cheddar are my go to cheese but you can substitute out any white cheeses that you like and melt well
- Green onions – you can just add the green onions raw but I like to saute them in butter for the flavor – but this is personal preference – my sister and mom like the raw onion flavor better!
- Chili pepper oil – I love the Chinese chili oil that I keep on hand but Tabasco works too and of course you don’t have to use anything if you don’t want to.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Recipe
If you love this Spinach Artichoke Dip appetizer as much as we do, please leave a 5 star review and be sure to share on Facebook and Pinterest! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
To watch me make this Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Dip play this video
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Ultimate Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe! It’s rich and creamy, perfectly cheesy, loaded with spinach and artichokes and always a favorite. This is the BEST Spinach and Artichoke Dip, and the ultimate dip for any get together. Filled with spinach, artichoke hearts, four cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, and mayo!
Keyword: spinach and artichoke dip, spinach artichoke dip, spinach artichoke dip recipe
Servings: 20 servings
Calories: 388 kcal
- 1/2 C butter
- 3-4 bunches green onion chopped (about 2/3 C)
- 18-20 oz fresh spinach washed and squeezed dry
- 34 oz canned artichoke hearts chopped marinated in oil not water
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 16 oz full fat cream cheese softened
- 2 C full fat sour cream
- 1 C Mayonnaise
- 2 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 C shredded mozzarella
- 1 C shredded White Cheddar
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce or chili pepper oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Saute the butter and green onions, add the garlic near the end and cook until fragrant.
Rinse your spinach then SQUEEZE it, drain everything you can out of it. – This part is key otherwise your dip will be runny and the dip will taste wrong.
After you SQUEEZE the life out of the spinach chop it up really good.
Drain your artichoke hearts, but don’t rinse them.
Now chop them up, getting rid of any outside leafs/petals(?) that are still hard.
In a mixer add all the ingredients and mix well
spread the dip into a 9×13 glass casserole pan and cover with foil
Cook it in the oven for 25-35 mins until bubbly! The outside cooks faster than the center, so I like to stir it at about 15 mins, re-cover and place it back in oven for the rest of the time!
I serve mine with homemade salsa, chips, tortillas
you can substitute frozen spinach instead – I thaw it over paper towels to soak up the extra moisture.
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email